Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Thinking about spending a winter in Key West? Thoughts?

So after a summer in Alaska, my friend and I are thinking about a winter in Key West. Mostly to say drive from one end of the country to the other end. However because I am so broke, I may fly down to Atlanta and then hop on my bike to ride down there and meet him. Then I would at least have my own transportation where as in this small town of 800 people I can do well without my own car/bike.

At any rate I know a lot of you live in Florida and I was hoping to get some more information as to what I might expect down there. Most people have said that we can expect a lot of partying, gays, and expensive living.

We are used to expensive living here in Alaska and so far jobs seem to pay a little bit higher then around here so that is a plus. My job here in Alaska will end in late October because the hotel I work at will shut down for the winter. I was hoping to spend a winter down there and then next year ride my bike from Key West alllllll the way back to Alaska, spending a lot of time visiting friends and family around the country.

Then I would probably try to make my Alaskan move very permanent by finding winter work up here.

Thoughts, comments, quams, querries?

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

you can always find work in AK... the slope pays amazing... but it's TOUGH fucking work.

I'd spend a winter in AK before you think about make'n it perminant. several reasons

1. The lack of sun... some people it effects others it doesn't... didn't effect me the first winter... but the second... life sucked.

2. winter carries on and on... and it wears on ya.

3. when you start living up there you'll notice just how little Anchorage has... and good luck getting it elswhere. lots of places will not ship.

4. it's hard and expensive to move from AK if you don't like it after a couple years.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

not trying to talk you out of it... just want you to be sure it's something you really thought about...

oh... and i'd sell the bike... you'll have 4-5 months of riding at best depending on how far north you live... and not many roads to enjoy... get a dual sport... or a snow machine... you'll get MUCH more use
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Thanks for the advice. I had been looking into Slope work before I decided that I would head back south for the winter. I think I would enjoy at least one winter and maybe a second. But you are right, I should live one out before making it a permanent life style.

Any thoughts on Key West from the Florida people? Thinking about a warm winter.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote