Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I would agree, if it weren't for those 250+ times that it was turned on and off.
Minor detail

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Sounds like a display model..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

That's what I figure.

This is the first issue that I've had with this particular distributor, ever, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
I would agree, if it weren't for those 250+ times that it was turned on and off.
Might have been like this woman that came out to the track - everytime she put the lens down [not pointed forward ready to shoot] she flicked it off with her thumb. I only noticed because she made a comment about waiting for her camera to be *ready* so often. I asked her why she even turned it off, she had been told it's "bad for it" to be on too long.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Might have been like this woman that came out to the track - everytime she put the lens down [not pointed forward ready to shoot] she flicked it off with her thumb. I only noticed because she made a comment about waiting for her camera to be *ready* so often. I asked her why she even turned it off, she had been told it's "bad for it" to be on too long.
That frequently takes more power than just leaving the thing on, then letting it go to 'sleep' after a few minutes. If you actually power it off then the lens typically goes to the home position, along with a bunch of other possible start-up functions. I typically set my cameras to go into sleep mode after 5 minutes. To get them out of sleep usually takes less than a half a second.

Then again, what the hell sort of camera did she have, that she had to wait for it to be 'ready'? Even with the Olympus dust-buster running at every power-up, my camera is ready before I can get it up to my eye.

The only reason why it might be bad to leave it on would be if it was constantly powering the sensor, which could result in overheat. This is typically only a problem if the camera is left in live view (rear screen as a framing aid), for an extended period of time.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Then again, what the hell sort of camera did she have, that she had to wait for it to be 'ready'? Even with the Olympus dust-buster running at every power-up, my camera is ready before I can get it up to my eye.
Canon fancy schmancy something... Frankly I was more interested in keeping her in the paddock and away from the track surface when I overheard her. She was one of "those" people that thought spending a lot of money on something suddenly made her a professional, you know "Anyone can take pictures" kind of attitude. That's about as true as buying a sportbike makes me a go-fast racer.

I know, I sound like Judger McJudgerson now

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Canon fancy schmancy something... Frankly I was more interested in keeping her in the paddock and away from the track surface when I overheard her. She was one of "those" people that thought spending a lot of money on something suddenly made her a professional, you know "Anyone can take pictures" kind of attitude. That's about as true as buying a sportbike makes me a go-fast racer.

I know, I sound like Judger McJudgerson now
I know what you mean though. Even practised photographers sometimes think that they know the ropes, without being shown them. The head ref asked me to take an acquaintance of mine out and show him the ins and outs of track shooting. Up until then he'd done a track day, or two, portrait shots, and bike glamour shots. I nearly shit myself when he walked up to within 5 feet of the apex in a decreasing left. I got his ass back, before the marshal could even open his mouth.

If she had something like a Canon 40D/50D, 5D MkII, or 7D, then the funny thing is that her camera starts up faster than mine. I never have to wait

Old 01-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Also a possibility, azoomm. Some people are real dicks and 'evaluate' a new toy, for a couple of weeks, before deciding that they really didn't want it anyway. Or just wanted a toy for a couple of weeks, knowing that they'd be bringing it back.
To be honest, that seems to be the average person's ethical standard, from the people I've met.

I'm also convinced that a lot of Ebay vendors go around purchasing returned merchandise from big store chains, and put it on Ebay as "new".
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
To be honest, that seems to be the average person's ethical standard, from the people I've met.

I'm also convinced that a lot of Ebay vendors go around purchasing returned merchandise from big store chains, and put it on Ebay as "new".
Colour me unimpressed with the "average person."

Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Colour me unimpressed with the "average person."
I think that's why many of us get along on this board... the love for the herd.

Come Play at the Track!!