Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default Used passing as new

I just bought a new DSLR body and, wouldn't you know it, but someone else had had it before me. The camera had fingerprints all over the rear screen and, when I checked the camera's "hidden menus", I found that the shutter button had been hit more than 1600 times and the camera had been turned on more than 250 times.

The shop is bringing in a replacement for me, and had apologized profusely for the 'error.' I'm off work next week though, so I'll have to take a special trip in to pick up the replacement.

So who wants to vent about getting a used product, when you bought something new?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I must say I think that's one thing I haven't experienced
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

That sucks. I'm guessing 1 person in 50 even knows that you can check those things. I guess they thought you'd be one of the 49 that had no clue.

Although, they should have at least cleaned off the fingerprints if they were going to do something so blatantly stupid.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
That sucks. I'm guessing 1 person in 50 even knows that you can check those things. I guess they thought you'd be one of the 49 that had no clue.

Although, they should have at least cleaned off the fingerprints if they were going to do something so blatantly stupid.
Since demand for this camera (Olympus E-5) is heavier than expected, I suspect that this body was called back from one of their other stores. They probably played with it for a while, at that store. It's not the Canadian press demo unit, as a friend informed me that body would have a hell of a higher shutter count than 16K, based just on the short time that he reviewed it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I've bough stuff that was refurbished that the store didnt know was refurbished, because it was done at the factory. At least it sounds like the store is taking care of you so really thats cool, sounds more like its an inconvienience than anything else.

But yeh it does bug me when shit like that happens, it has only happened twice, both times at best buy, once with a digital picture frame that came pre loaded with some dudes pictures, and once with a computer game that came with save data already written on the disk (3.5" floppy disk, it was a few years ago). Plus who knows how many other times I have bought stuff and just didnt know about it yet
Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Or, someone bought it, played with it, then his wife found out he spent all HER shopping budget and freaked out. He then bundles it back up and tricks the store into thinking he never opened it.

That happened to me with a lawnmower once, some assembly required... completely sealed box. Opened it and there was grass in the deck. I took it back, they gave me an assembled one.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
That happened to me with a lawnmower once, some assembly required... completely sealed box. Opened it and there was grass in the deck. I took it back, they gave me an assembled one.
Sorry about that, but my yard guy was on vacation and I was having a party.

Wife left deoterant stains on the Versace dress we used for that party too.....and they FOUND those so we're stuck with THAT dress, so I taped the mower up REAL good. The $8hr returns desk girl didn't care enough to look hard enough to see the grass after I tore it back down and repacked it.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Also a possibility, azoomm. Some people are real dicks and 'evaluate' a new toy, for a couple of weeks, before deciding that they really didn't want it anyway. Or just wanted a toy for a couple of weeks, knowing that they'd be bringing it back. For a brand new model though, 1600 shots is a bit steep. I'd put that on a body, over the course of a weekend at the track, but damned few regular users would.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Also a possibility, azoomm. Some people are real dicks and 'evaluate' a new toy, for a couple of weeks, before deciding that they really didn't want it anyway. Or just wanted a toy for a couple of weeks, knowing that they'd be bringing it back. For a brand new model though, 1600 shots is a bit steep. I'd put that on a body, over the course of a weekend at the track, but damned few regular users would.
sounds to me like someone bought it for occasion then returned it.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
sounds to me like someone bought it for occasion then returned it.
I would agree, if it weren't for those 250+ times that it was turned on and off.