Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #21
shmike
Follower

Since I post on the internet, whatever price I pay is correct.

If you pay more than me, you are a foolish yuppie that follows the masses and pays too much to look like everyone else.

If you pay less than me, you are cheap. That or you don't understand the quality, refinement or requirements I demand from my purchases. Probably the former.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Ooh I'll pay more for customer service too!
I'll send you my bill
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #23
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Since I post on the internet, whatever price I pay is correct.

If you pay more than me, you are a foolish yuppie that follows the masses and pays too much to look like everyone else.

If you pay less than me, you are cheap. That or you don't understand the quality, refinement or requirements I demand from my purchases. Probably the former.
You are obviously a connoisseur of fine products at spectacular prices. Your collection of Hummel figurines, Franklin Mint Collectors Plates, and unopened cans of Crystal Pepsi attest to your learned tastes and fine eye for potential investments.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #24
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
One of my downfalls is I do love nice stuff. But I don't make nice money so I have to bargain shop. Right now I make $9.50 an hour doing hard manual labor to just spend a good portion of it at school (And I only worked 21hours last week). Crap pay but I can get off whenever I want for school. But for me to spend $300 on a jacket that doesn't function as well as a $100 Carhart is basically a week or so of work. Very hard work at that. I was mainly looking for a nice jacket I could wear out for say a date or just a night on the town that looks good. But when I see their basic typical college yuppie style pull over for $250 and their Mt Everest approved functional jacket for just a little bit more. It shows me that they are just milking their brand for what it's worth.

On mountain biking clothing. I spare no expense. If I can afford Pearl Izumi I'll spend the extra $30-$100 it takes to get Pearl Izumi. On my motorcycle I buy good quality parts and tires because my life can depend on it. I own some nice pair of pants for school/going out and some crappier $7 jeans for work (That looks just about as good and feels as good as my Levis).

But sometimes I just have to sit back and laugh at the trends that come around. What will come after North Face? Who knows. But I'm seeing girls walking around school now with big tall eskimo furry looking boots on. Despite it being 55+ degrees outside.

Hey smittie sorry bout that, I didn't mean to reference as though you were the one I meant. Just that your post about NF got me thinking as others put in they wouldn't pay for it or what not. I totally agree with getting the best you can afford and have all too good of recollection what it was like to make it on spit and baling twine. 5/hr and family of 4 is not fun I can tell you that. it will motivate the hell out of you to do better though

Wow this has to be one of my livlier posts that I've started.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Depends on the product, depends on how much use I'll get out of it. All my tools are cheap cause I don't really do a whole lot of wrenching... My Harbor freight drill press has done me no wrong... in the dozen times I've used it in the past 6 years. Plus I'm about to get all my dad's tools... Mac, Cornwell, Snap-on... the good shit.

I don't fuck around much with cheap electronics. My DVD home theater setup is bottom of the barrel Sony, but I'm no audiophile so doesn't bother me. I buy cheap decor and low-traffic furniture... but my matress was nearly $800. Clothes are middle of the road, but I shop the discount/closeout racks... unless I need something... Then I won't hesitate to pay full price.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #26
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
I'll take a bottle of cheap Asti Spumante (not exactly champagne, I know) over another bottle of that Cristal any day though.
plusone

but then, i don't like champagne at all. whoever dreamed up the idea of carbonating wine was a fucking moron.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #27
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

What I will say... I will shop around. I think it's dumb if you don't. High ticket items, I will shop around for weeks or maybe a month. People who just go and buy something without checking a number of other places for price comparisons have more money than I do... Especially since 95% of my purchases are made online... if you don't shop around online, you're just fucking lazy.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The analogy I always like to make is the ghetto idiots who drive a Navigator but still rent, or even if they own a home it's only worth $40K cuz it's in Detroit or it's a trailer park. Get some priorities already.......jesus.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #29
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
honestly... to me it depends on the product... if it's something that doesn't really matter... I'll by the generic shit... ie medicine, some food, some clothes, and a few electronics.

but for the things that matter, ie their failing could really fuck up my or someone elses schedule or life, I go with quality. these things are things like tires, gear, fluids, and most electronics.

above this... I'll pay more for good customer service. I detest shitty customer service, and having basicly worked in customer service for going on 11 years now... I'll pay 10-20% more just for a product if I know I'll be treated right if there are any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
What I will say... I will shop around. I think it's dumb if you don't. High ticket items, I will shop around for weeks or maybe a month. People who just go and buy something without checking a number of other places for price comparisons have more money than I do... Especially since 95% of my purchases are made online... if you don't shop around online, you're just fucking lazy.
Im with both these guys. I hate paying retail, because I know how high its marked up, but at the same time, if its something important, I wont take the cheap route. But I DO shop around first!

My dad always taught me, better to save and get the good stuff that'll last, than buy the cheap stuff 20 times!

And I will pay more if its someplace that remembers what customer service is! Like local bike shops, if I need something, I'll go to the place that treats me right, and as added bonus, ALWAYS remembers me!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #30
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
My dad always taught me, better to save and get the good stuff that'll last, than buy the cheap stuff 20 times!
That's funny, because I learned that through my parents too.. only I learned by watching them do it. I can tell the same story over and over again just by changing what was bought. Of course, there were 5 of us so I guess you do what you can.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote