Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09
Default why is it a crime to pay for good products

So here is the question, brought on somewhat by the Northface question.
Why do so many people say they would never pay full price for product xxx. Even if it's a good product they find fault with it somehow. (not saying Northface is a good product, I have none of their stuff) Oh I wouldn't mind having it but I'd only pay the same as I paid for a Walmart special or whatever.
The other day some folks that I know were talking. They know I have a new vehicle. (50 miles one way every day into the hood, I prefer to lower my chance of breakdowns) They had to tell me how they have 150,000 miles on their car and they're going to drive it till it drops. One just dropped $2500 in repairs, and the other was waiting for the shop to call with his bill. From the list of repairs he was having done it was going to be a small college tuition.
The amount they spend on repairs for that one trip to the shop covers my payments for the year and I don't have to worry about breaking down. Screw it they can have their beaters. I drive old stuff now and then (my truck is 7 years old and still runs very well)but if it costs me 2 grand to get it running it's gone.
I have a jacket made by Reima for snowmobiling. Was pricey $300. I use it for sledding, on the bike (cold days), skiing, and whatever else. I've had it for 7 years and it is awesome, water proof, windproof very lightweight. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Yeah it was expensive but it sure is nice.
Is it just that people can't afford it so they cut on those who do or are they just too cheap to buy a good product and would rather try to get by with crap? I cheap out on some things now and then to but only after weighing out the options and if the need is there for a better product I'm getting it. Good money once or cheap money every other use.
Just a thought.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'm with you on this. I like to save money just as much as the next guy, and I'm certainly not rich, in fact, my wages are laughable...but I will pay top dollar for good products.

My wife is the opposite...she won't pay full price for anything. She'll put off buying something for months just in hopes of finding it cheaper somewhere else.

If there is something I want...I buy it. I dont care if it'll be cheaper in a week or at another store.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

In the North Face example, I know that there are other brands out there that are equivalent in quality but less money. If North Face is on sale, I wouldn't hesitate to buy their stuff, but I won't pay retail for it.

On the other hand, if there is a product brand that I know is shit quality, I don't care how cheap it is, I won't buy it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

Depends on the product for me...motorcycle gear I'm willing to pay top dollar for quality names becuase they are tried, tested and true. Clothing not a chance, you'll never see me paying $300 for a designer sweater at Nordstom's. I'm all about saving money but sometimes you get what you pay for and not all of the cheaper brands are always as good of quality.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
Depends on the product for me...motorcycle gear I'm willing to pay top dollar for quality names becuase they are tried, tested and true. Clothing not a chance, you'll never see me paying $300 for a designer sweater at Nordstom's. I'm all about saving money but sometimes you get what you pay for and not all of the cheaper brands are always as good of quality.
Like the saying goes... Good shit ain't cheap and cheap shit ain't good.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I won't pay full price for most things. It's not that I don't respect the product being offered, but, from my experience at least, the products that people are claiming to be the good ones just happen to have a certain amount of name recognition, and it's that name that tends to garner a higher price. I'll pay more for more quality/features/etc, but if it's like vs like and the difference is a name brand and a chunk of money, the cheaper wins.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I make entirely too little money to buy cheap crap.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

I understand you get what you pay for, and I spend my money accordingly.

My in-laws quite the opposite and will spend weeks shopping things into the ground, comparing values of cheaper items or looking for a sale. For big purchases, (think appliances) they'll also consider buying a cheap model "to get them through for a while", then they'll ditch it and buy the one they want at a later date.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

While price often does relate directly to quality, it doesn't ALWAYS relate in an equitable way. Often times its simply the name associated with Brand A that makes it to some, more desireable than Brand B.

Personal taste also can play a role in what is "better" IMO. I got a $250.00 bottle of Cristal champagne as a wedding gift. Totally unimpressed. Not because I have an untrained palate or whatever some Snooty McSnooterson might claim, but because I don't like very dry champagne or wine. I'll take a bottle of cheap Asti Spumante (not exactly champagne, I know) over another bottle of that Cristal any day though.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
RCM78
Slow Poke

Moto: '05 R1

I like nice things. I also believe quality cost money. I'm not wealthy and never will be. But life is too short to buy cheap crap!!!
TPM Coach #71 http://www.teampromotion.com
RCM78 is offline   Reply With Quote