Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #31
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Aren't you military or reserves or something? Talk to USAA and get a card through them. Decent rates usually and they are by far the most excellent banking/finance company I have ever dealt with, and I've had lots of cards and worked at a few banks. LOVE them!

Hate Capital One and Discover, BoA are bitchy and those fly by nights that give you a card to help you "build" your credit back up are usually ridiculous as far as taking care of your account. Fees, errors, etc.

Thank gawd I got rid of all the rest, I keep one now for random purchases and try to pay it off every month if I feel like it, but I've only used it once in the last 2 years.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #32
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
DON'T EVER GO THROUGH CAPITAL ONE. Just eliminate that from any considerations right now. Shady shady company.

Discover Card. /End of thread
Discover? Not widely accepted, especially outside of the US. That would be my last choice or suggestion for someone, unless they used it and paid it off regularly at the same places for business expenses, etc. - then the cash back reward would be worth it.

I have two Capital One cards and I have zero complaints with the company.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #33
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I have a CC with my old bank and one with my new Bank.
Could give two shits about the interest rate because I never carry a balance. Always pay off the full the amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #34
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Aren't you military or reserves or something? Talk to USAA and get a card through them. Decent rates usually and they are by far the most excellent banking/finance company I have ever dealt with, and I've had lots of cards and worked at a few banks. LOVE them!

Hate Capital One and Discover, BoA are bitchy and those fly by nights that give you a card to help you "build" your credit back up are usually ridiculous as far as taking care of your account. Fees, errors, etc.

Thank gawd I got rid of all the rest, I keep one now for random purchases and try to pay it off every month if I feel like it, but I've only used it once in the last 2 years.
This.

USAA has had my back. They offer both general checking/savings with debit/credit options AND credit cards.

Of course, my favorite card is Amex for purchase protection.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #35
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
You should throw a monthly payment of some sorts on your card you don't use... Eventually they will shut it down for lack of use, then it'll hit your credit. Reoccuring payments, with a reoccuring payoff every month from your checking account is a good way to do that. I have that setup for some of my stuff.

Yeah, when some Nigerian scammer comes along and wipes out your entire checking account in 24 hours, then tell me you don't need a credit card. Sure, you could use your debit for everything, but I've had that shit happen twice and it FUCKED me with late charges on a bunch of other shit because my checking account wiped clean. Sure, both banks handled the situation and got me my money back... one took about a month, the other two weeks. Just enough time to come in late for most of my monthly bills.

Not everyone is completely irresponsible with their debt. I am not debt free, I have several monthly payments, but I also have a savings. Student loans, mortgage, and a vehicle payment totals my revolving debt. My credit cards are paid off every month, unless some emergency situation comes up. I've financed a lot of things for 0% for 12-14 months, paid it all off and saved money in the process.

Oh, and banks are getting keen on having multiple accounts... If you're going to go the debit card route with multiple accounts, you'll most likely need to go through two separate banks. Chase just recently wanted to start charging me for my extra checking account, so I converted it to a savings account.

Do it man. Get a credit card and use the shit out of it. Build your credit and earn points/rewards. Keep your purchases limited to normal every day things and you don't need to worry about it. Start dumping 10 PS3 games, a new flat screen and a bunch of other shit you wouldn't normally purchase on it and that's when you get into trouble. I never check my balance on my cards, but I don't buy a bunch of excess shit either... I just buy my normal every day shit and nothing else. Turns out, my CC bill is always within $100 of the same thing every month.

My experience tells me otherwise. Still gotta go through the bank, still gotta wait forever to get a new card, your money back, etc. Maybe things have changed in the past 5 years, but the last time my card was compromised - despite the fact that they were 100% credit card purchases - I still had to go through all of the BS.
/This

Lotta folks scared to death of credit cards in here.

I have been using my card for all of my daily expenses for years. Pay all of it in full each month and sit back and collect the rewards.

Like OSP said, be responsible. If you have a large purchase you want to make (tv, etc), make sure you have the CASH for it before you buy it, put it on the card for the points and then pay off the card that month as normal with the cash you had allocated for the item.

I take the approach that I'm paying for everything with cash, but route all expenses through my reward card to gain the points.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #36
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Could give two shits about the interest rate because I never carry a balance. Always pay off the full the amount.
Same here. I couldn't even tell you what the APR is on one of my cards. The other one is 0% but I only know that becuase I've had it less than a year. One is my card for business expenses and recurring expenses such as NetFlix, web hosting, etc. And I occasionally use it for online purchases. The newer one is pretty much just for an emergency for me or the wife (I gave her one in my name for my account).
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote