Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N
Default Who should I get credit card from?

It's time for me to get my first CC. I would use it for gas and online purchasing. I keep hearing it's easier to cancel a transaction or get your money back with a CC.

I know I can go directly with the major CC companies (visa, MC, capital one, etc) and through my bank or any bank. Just wondering which would be best.

I can do a Visa/MasterCard through my bank. Here's the info. Although the APR for the points card is higher I do like the points idea. Who does cashback and is it worth it?

Preferred Points Card

2.90% intro APR first six months
15.24% APR after that

Low rate card

2.90% APR first six months
10.24% after.

Then there's Capitol One and Chase. So many to choose from. My debt/cc cards have always been either Visa or Mastercard and they're accepted EVERY I've seen and been so I'd like to stick with them.

Last time I checked my credit score (summer) it was around 750 I believe. I think I have it written down somewhere.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
It's time for me to get my first CC. ....... My debt/cc cards have always been either Visa or Mastercard and they're accepted EVERY I've seen and been so I'd like to stick with them. ....
We have a fuck up on isle2 that needs to be cleaned.

Ur not making sense here. First CC or fifth CC?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Depends on how you want to use it. I have three cards, one was my first decent card with an ok rewards system - my water bill goes on there every month, just to keep it alive. The other two - one with a really low rate and ok rewards... The other with higher APR and an awesome rewards system. The low rate card is for emergencies and big purchases - like when I needed a new A/C for the house. I have the cable, cell phone, and e-pass on this card keeping it going in the mean time. The other card is for everyday purchases... I use it constantly and generate nearly $500 cash back per year.

All three of my cards are VISA's.

There are also benefits to certain cards - extended warranties, emergency roadside service, etc

Oh, I forgot... All the cards are paid off every month, unless there's an emergency or other big expense.

Last edited by OneSickPsycho; 02-07-2011 at 10:44 PM..
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
We have a fuck up on isle2 that needs to be cleaned.

Ur not making sense here. First CC or fifth CC?

A true debt card is when you have to enter a pin. Now days your debt card is still debt but it acts like a CC. That's why it'll have Visa or something on it.

It'll be tied to my paypal account so it'll be used often for internet purchases or when I manually enter in my CC info. I would use it as a gas card and it would be nice as emergency money when out of town. I just need one for now. The main reason is for paypal and being able to get my money back if something happens.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 02-07-2011 at 10:43 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Btw - my everyday card is with chase and my low apr card is with bank of america. Chase rewards were just better - tons of bonus points and neat redeeming options for cash back. BoA has ok rewards and all the bells and whistles - extended warranties and all that.

The only beef I have with chase is that it takes a couple of days for online banking to update and show my transactions. BoA on the other hand, updates in minutes.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
A true debt card is when you have to enter a pin. Now days your debt card is still debt but it acts like a CC. That's why it'll have Visa or something on it.

It'll be tied to my paypal account so it'll be used often for internet purchases or when I manually enter in my CC info. I would use it as a gas card and it would be nice as emergency money when out of town. I just need one for now. The main reason is for paypal and being able to get my money back if something happens.
Yeah I understand the difference, but I was trying to figure out what you wanted.

Listen...a debit card is a debit card because it is tied directly to a checking or savings account. Visa or Mastercard logo is irrelevant as it is still a debit card. Whether the transaction is taken as a charge or a debit is not relevant.

Now a credit card is a line of credit, money which you do not have. Do you have or have you had any other loans? If you never have any other credit cards or car/student loans, you aren't going to get a CC all that easy. Most likely they will want a deposit unless you get a co-signer. Credit history is much more important for obtaining a cc. Checking or savings account never even show up on credit reports.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Now a credit card is a line of credit, money which you do not have. Do you have or have you had any other loans? If you never have any other credit cards or car/student loans, you aren't going to get a CC all that easy. Most likely they will want a deposit unless you get a co-signer. Credit history is much more important for obtaining a cc. Checking or savings account never even show up on credit reports.
Not anymore man. I think Obeezy passed something that they cannot decline you for a credit card anymore based on credit rating. Now... you may have a very low credit limit to start out. And a deposit on a CC???

DON'T EVER GO THROUGH CAPITAL ONE. Just eliminate that from any considerations right now. Shady shady company.

Discover Card. /End of thread
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 02-07-2011 at 11:00 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Quote:
Yeah I understand the difference, but I was trying to figure out what you wanted.

Listen...a debit card is a debit card because it is tied directly to a checking or savings account. Visa or Mastercard logo is irrelevant as it is still a debit card. Whether the transaction is taken as a charge or a debit is not relevant.

Already know all of that. Yes I have a good credit history.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
DON'T EVER GO THROUGH CAPITAL ONE. Just eliminate that from any considerations right now. Shady shady company.
I have two credit cards. A Capital One and an AT&T card. I haven't had any problems with Capital One. I used to have a really good rate on it, but it went up about a year ago. I don't put anything on it anymore, but I still have it open. Hasn't caused me any headaches. The rate on my AT&T card goes up and down. It's not too bad right now and I had to put a couple medical bills on there and my netflix runs through it. No real problems with it either, except for the rate that jumps around.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

whoever told you you NEED a cc is full of shit. My bank will cover any fraudulent charges on my debit card. I haven't had a credit card in over 12 years now. I don't NEED one. Haven't needed one in that period of time. Won't ever get one again. My debit card with MC logo is all I ever need.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote