Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1
Default Experienced Ebayers, a question....

Alright, I'm not the MOST experienced Ebay buyer; I troll more than I actually buy and sell, so I've got a weird question:

I bought something the other day; shipping listed on the auction was $13.95, shipment via Priority Mail coming from San Francisco. The seller has a great feedback rating, and has sold many items of this variety/size before.

So I win the auction the other day, send payment via PayPal immediately, and I get an email from them confirming that it'll be shipping yesterday. Great!

So today I have an email from them today saying "Your item shipped out yesterday, but shipping ended up being more than expected, it actually came to $35.95, so we need you to pay the additional $22. Sorry for the inconvenience." Then they also sent me a money request via PayPal.

I'm thinking "WTF!" Sounds like they're just pissed the item sold as cheaply as it did, and they're trying to make up the difference in shipping. Or, if the item really WAS that expensive to ship, then hey, that's their problem, IMO... there's an option to have the buyer select the method of shipment and enter their zip code when they set up the auction, but they didn't do that, so I don't think I should be responsible for their mistake. Not to mention, they had already SHIPPED the item when they asked for the additional $22, so it's not like I had an option to say "Hmmm... no thanks."

So for you more experienced Ebayers, what're my options here? I only have a feedback of like 3 on there, so I don't want a negative feedback, but at the same time, I didn't do anything wrong, IMO.... do I have any recourse with Ebay or PayPal here?

neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

It's a trick to get more money. Tell them no. Your kind of screwed in the feedback. They will give you negative feedback. Ebay does nothing to protect the buyers when something like that happens.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

It may also be someone phishing. Check with the seller and make sure that the request is real. Also, forward the request to ebay, and let them check it out. Most likely, it is a scam, and wasn't generated by the seller.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Buying something on ebay is a contract. They are responsible for calculating the shipping before they post it. Stand your ground and tell them to send the item or you will contact ebay. The are legally obligated to give you that item for the price you paid. You can actually sue them if they do not give you the item for what you paid for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Trip and Rider are right. DO NOT pay the extra money. Thats on them.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
neebelung

Well they have already shipped the item; that's kinda the B.S. part of it... they shipped it, then realized how much it was to ship and THEN emailed me (they included the tracking # in the email). The message came through Ebay, and the PayPal money request came from the same email address I sent payment to in the first place, so it is the same person.

I sent an inquiry to Ebay. I'm not paying the addl $22 but I want to hear what they have to say on it as well.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

I'd make sure the package shows up before you even reply to this clown.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
neebelung

True, true... not a bad idea.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Well they have already shipped the item; that's kinda the B.S. part of it... they shipped it, then realized how much it was to ship and THEN emailed me (they included the tracking # in the email). The message came through Ebay, and the PayPal money request came from the same email address I sent payment to in the first place, so it is the same person.

I sent an inquiry to Ebay. I'm not paying the addl $22 but I want to hear what they have to say on it as well.
If they already sent the item. Fuck em. You got your item and deny the the request for money. Send them a reply saying "I am sorry for your miscalculation on shipping, but that is not my responsibility. I signed a contract stating this is how much I was willing to pay for an item and your agreement for that price was confirmed because you listed thecost of shipping and your reserve on the item when you listed the item. I will leave feedback when I receive the item and inspect it. I would appreciate if you do the same. It's not my mistake that you calculated the shipping wrong."

You can put it in better words and nicer, but something along those lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If they already sent the item. Fuck em. You got your item and deny the the request for money. Send them a reply saying "I am sorry for your miscalculation on shipping, but that is not my responsibility. I signed a contract stating this is how much I was willing to pay for an item and your agreement for that price was confirmed because you listed thecost of shipping and your reserve on the item when you listed the item. I will leave feedback when I receive the item and inspect it. I would appreciate if you do the same. It's not my mistake that you calculated the shipping wrong."

You can put it in better words and nicer, but something along those lines.
I think thats about as nice as you need to be.

Quote: