Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra
Default Net Neutrality

Ok, so I didn't really believe this till I googled it and there seems to be a lot out there about this subject.

Apparently there are big telecommunications companies, ie; At&t, Comcast and a list of others that want to make the Internets a basically toll road of sorts. There seems to be a push to have the FCC allow to them to make the changes to the way you look for items, what equipment that you use to surf the net with and what type of priveleges you have to what is essentially the free movement of information that is the internet as we currently know it.
They would be able to tax providers more or less on content that they deem to be in their favor or not.

I am not sure how much of what I read on one site is true, but, if this idea comes to pass then things that we all do on the internet will change dramatically. I for one like to play certain games on the internet, MMO's on the PC and games on the Xbox will be so overpriced it will become cost prohibitive to do so. Even the little bit of bandwidth that we use here for the basic posts will be taxed and cost us way more than it needs to, not to mention the posts that Gas Man puts on here would be a fortune to DL.

I guess what I am saying here is take the time to do some research as I will be doing some more myself and make some contact to your congressmen to let them know that this is not something the people want to have passed. Because I guarrantee that the big corporations are lobbying hardcore for the FCC to let this pass as it will certainly be good for the pocketbooks. We need to push for the Net Neutrallity to be reinstated and make the information on the internets free for all to use.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Don't worry alot of people are perfectly aware of the net neutrality bullshit and have been fighting it. More awareness though is always needed. Its just another money grab by private industry and give the government the ability to tax every step you make. Don't worry they are moving to tax ATM withdrawals as well. Nothing like taxing you to use your own money.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Comcast is the biggest company trying to get rid of net neutrality - that much I do know..

At one time they talked about charging a fee for each email but that never happened.. shit I would owe several thousand dollars a day even if it was like $0.05 an email.

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Yeah, this has been an issue for over a year. Comcast and the like say that high bandwidth companies like Google are getting a free ride and they should be allowed to have a tiered system where some types of data can have priority over others and they say it will give better performance to its customers. Net Neutrality proponents say that Comcast just wants to make people pay out the ass for high bandwidth uses like BitTorrent and YouTube. Especially for content creators who make and stream podcasts and videos. If you pay the extra fee youll be fine but if you dont your data packets will have a low priority and who knows what performance youll get.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Comcast sucks. They are total thieves. Case in point:

1. I live in a city that has Comcast, WOW and Uverse. So Comcast is super competitive and offers special deals. With phone-internet-cable I pay $99 a month with free HD and a DVR.

2. My friend lives maybe 10 miles away but all they have is Comcast. They are charging him $130 a month for phone-internet-cable and no HD and no DVR. He said I don't need a phone - ok then it is $170 a month for internet and cable. WTF? Why? Because they can.

I fucking hate Comcast. I only have them because WOW lied to me about HD when I switched from Direct TV to WOW and Comcast offered $30 cheaper a month with free HD and HD DVR plus they gave me a free Dell Netbook. So when the 2 year contract is up bye bye Comcast.

I am interested to see how this whole Google O/S thing works out. I tried Google Chrome when they came out with their browser but I wasn't super impressed. I prefer Firefox over any and all. Second choice is Comet Bird. So I am wondering how the Google O/S will be? At Google they have banned use of Windows I heard.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post

1. I live in a city that has Comcast, WOW and Uverse. So Comcast is super competitive and offers special deals. With phone-internet-cable I pay $99 a month with free HD and a DVR.

2. My friend lives maybe 10 miles away but all they have is Comcast. They are charging him $130 a month for phone-internet-cable and no HD and no DVR. He said I don't need a phone - ok then it is $170 a month for internet and cable. WTF? Why? Because they can.

I fucking hate Comcast. I only have them because WOW lied to me about HD when I switched from Direct TV to WOW and Comcast offered $30 cheaper a month with free HD and HD DVR plus they gave me a free Dell Netbook. So when the 2 year contract is up bye bye Comcast.

I am interested to see how this whole Google O/S thing works out. I tried Google Chrome when they came out with their browser but I wasn't super impressed. I prefer Firefox over any and all. Second choice is Comet Bird. So I am wondering how the Google O/S will be? At Google they have banned use of Windows I heard.

If I am understanding you correctly:

Comcast gives you better service, for a cheaper price than the competition. They also gave you free equipment and a free laptop and stayed true to their word when others didn't?

Fucking scum.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

Comcast gives you better service, for a cheaper price than the competition. They also gave you free equipment and a free laptop and stayed true to their word when others didn't?

Fucking scum.
Sure dude whatever.. you nailed it on the head - NOT.. I gave you 1/600,000th of the story and you ran with it.. wtg shit stain.. you missed the entire point of the story..

Comcast has NEVER stayed true to their word about much of anything.. Finally this time around (I have had them in several other locations where they fucked me hardcore but some places they were the only choice and at one point I even just went to rabbit ears because I really don't watch much tv) I have had good luck with them. Of course not without issues. I am on my 3rd "new" DVR box that has cut out. They put in a new cable line that works well but did the buttfuckers bury it in my yard? Nope. The service guy said someone would be over in 2 days to do it. Its like a year later and still haven't seen anyone and that is after emailing and calling them. Their phone "support" said oh Tuesday - well they didn't specify which Tuesday - guess it is like Tuesday in 2015 or something. If I could manipulate the space-time continuum maybe I could go into the future and find out. So I buried the fucking cable myself. And the installer just threw it over the bush so I had to crawl through the bush like I was crawling through the jungles of vietnam to fix the cable so it wasn't just slopply strewn in the bushes. I am just waiting for them to fuck me on the price. They lied about what channels I would get. So all in all this time around has been a "good" experience with Comcast.

Thanks for your intelligent post though. Glad you had such valuable out of context completely incorrect sarcasm to add.

You have won a prize:

Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:

Quote:

Fucking scum.
Quote:
Sure dude whatever.. you nailed it on the head - NOT.. I gave you 1/600,000th of the story and you ran with it.. wtg shit stain.. you missed the entire point of the story..

Comcast has NEVER stayed true to their word about much of anything.. Finally this time around (I have had them in several other locations where they fucked me hardcore but some places they were the only choice and at one point I even just went to rabbit ears because I really don't watch much tv) I have had good luck with them. Of course not without issues. I am on my 3rd "new" DVR box that has cut out. They put in a new cable line that works well but did the buttfuckers bury it in my yard? Nope. The service guy said someone would be over in 2 days to do it. Its like a year later and still haven't seen anyone and that is after emailing and calling them. Their phone "support" said oh Tuesday - well they didn't specify which Tuesday - guess it is like Tuesday in 2015 or something. If I could manipulate the space-time continuum maybe I could go into the future and find out. So I buried the fucking cable myself. And the installer just threw it over the bush so I had to crawl through the bush like I was crawling through the jungles of vietnam to fix the cable so it wasn't just slopply strewn in the bushes. I am just waiting for them to fuck me on the price. They lied about what channels I would get. So all in all this time around has been a "good" experience with Comcast.

Thanks for your intelligent post though. Glad you had such valuable out of context completely incorrect sarcasm to add.

You have won a prize:
Real Talk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Real Talk?

Yes but not too much.

1/600,000th to be exact.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Yes but not too much.

1/600,000th to be exact.
Easy....EASY...you're gonna send mudpuppy into another Tourette's spasm.

On second thought...egg him on...it's funny when he starts foaming at the mouth and swearing and recounting how he helped procreate the interwebz back in the 80's.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote