Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Default Son of a B!tch!!!

Yesterday I come home from work to have my wife tell me that my laptop won't work. I try and try and it doesn't want to boot up. I let it go and then the only way I can get the thing to work is to let it reformat and go back to factory settings.

I wanted to do that anyway so it wasn't a big deal other then my pictures. But I bought a external hard drive so that isn't a problem. Well it wouldn't be if I had used it in the last month or so.

If I throw my laptop against the wall really really hard will the pictures come back? What about strapping it to my heavy bag and going 12 rounds with it?

Fuck. I have a program running right now that they say can find pictures that were deleted. I don't know if it will find them or not. I might know in about 4 hours.

Does anyone know of any way to recover some of these?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Remove the drive from the laptop, and place it in an external enclosure.

Get a new drive mechanism (now's a great time to upgrade to a larger one), and put in in the laptop. Format THAT, and then, unless the drive actually DIED, you should be able to access it as an external, and copy all your personal files back. Then reformat it, and you have a new external drive to keep your shit on.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post

Get a new drive mechanism (now's a great time to upgrade to a larger one), and put in in the laptop. Format THAT, and then, unless the drive actually DIED, you should be able to access it as an external, and copy all your personal files back. Then reformat it, and you have a new external drive to keep your shit on.
Yep, did that with a desktop once, for the exact same reason.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:

Damn it. That means buying a new drive and a enclosure.

The drive is working because it went back to factory settings.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend any money on this one. I want a new laptop soon and the kids can have this one. I will see what this program can find since its running and if that doesn't work I might have to do what you suggested.

If I went that route I could just get an enclosure, put in the drive in and then hook it to my other computer. Then after I'm done I could put the drive back in the laptop save the enclosure for use at a later date.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
stermp66
Couch Rocket Rider

Moto: 2007 GL1800

there are more than one of those recovery programs out there if the one your trying doesnt work try another one, I had the same problem before I wish I could remember which one did work,,, but it did recover most of my pictures but it was a huge pia as it find every jpg image including everything like buttons on web pages for instance, good luck
stermp66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stermp66 View Post
there are more than one of those recovery programs out there if the one your trying doesnt work try another one, I had the same problem before I wish I could remember which one did work,,, but it did recover most of my pictures but it was a huge pia as it find every jpg image including everything like buttons on web pages for instance, good luck
I'm trying Recuva.com right now. It found 113000 files. And like you said it finds buttons and everything. Its taking me back to the geocities days seeing all of those buttons. So far I have found some of the pictures I was looking for, I have only went through 1/3 so far. I haven't tried to recover them yet, I need to look through them first.

I will let everyone know how it works out.

James
Old 07-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Do you also have a desktop system? An adapter to run that drive on an IDE channel is like $0.99 on eBay. Just bought one.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Do you also have a desktop system? An adapter to run that drive on an IDE channel is like $0.99 on eBay. Just bought one.

Yeah I have a desktop system. I could look into that.

I did a search and spent 6 hours on it. 2 of that was going through have the pictures if found to click on good ones. I fell asleep and when I woke up the computer was restarted. Fuck.

So this morning I did a search for videos. It found around 1000-2000. One problem is it doesn't give you a preview of the videos so unless you changed the file name you have no idea what it is. So I asked it to recover them all to a thumb drive. It did. It found all kinds of videos. Some I don't remember putting on my computer. There were two videos I really wanted which I didn't see on there so they might be gone.

Its close to being finished searching for pics for the second time. When I get back from my grad party I will have to look at them again. Or just recover them all to a folder on my external drive and then I can pick at them over time and delete all the junk which you can't do in the program.

James
Old 07-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:

That's the route I would have gone. Even notebook hard drives are cheap these days. In fact when I bought my notebook, a couple of years back, I immediately bought a 330GB hard drive and swapped it for the 150GB that it had, by default. Much cheaper than buying the larger hard drive from the manufacturer.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by stermp66 View Post
Using a shredder tool periodically would have gotten rid of stuff like that.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote