Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default Nexus One..I'm at my wit's end.

So I was a former iPhone user. Loved the phone. I decided that I wanted to try something else, so I picked up the Nexus One back in June. Got it for my ATT service so I wouldn't have to switch service providers.

These last 7 months have been a love/hate relationship. People tell me that I have a bum phone. I've attempted to contact HTC regarding help about it, but their only source of contact is by phone. No email. Really? That's dumb. I don't have alot of time for phone calls during the day, but I may have to make the time soon.

Over the summer, on vacation, I couldn't upload pictures to Facebook or send pics via email or text after I left my home calling area. I'm on a nationwide plan. Even if I did have 3G service. Whatever.

This morning I got two separate messages pop up that just pissed me right off. One, low memory message. I know the phone only has 512mb onboard, so I moved many of my apps over to the 4gb sd card. Maybe that one was my bad.

However, I got a text message shortly after, and rather than que it until memory was cleared, it just flat rejected the message. Really? Why? I'm sorry, but I refuse to accept this sort of behavior from a damn $600 phone.

I was annoyed enough over the summer to get rid of it, but I decided to give it time. I've given it time, and while I love the OS, I am very aggravated at this phone.

It loses the *mapping* on the screen and buttons from time to time, and I have to put the screen to sleep and wake it back up in order for everything to work right.

The little things are about to wear me out. It has Froyo on it, has been rooted, has Cyanogen 6.0 on it.

I may very well be putting this thing on eBay soon. Maybe I just don't have the patience for the whole *Android* thing and it's quirks. Say what you want about Apple, but the iPhone just worked, and worked well.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Every interface has it's own crap - sounds like those of the iPhone didn't impact you as much as those of the Droid.

I'm convinced that no phone (or OS for a phone) is "better" than another, rather, some fit the individual user better than others.

It's all about choice.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Every interface has it's own crap - sounds like those of the iPhone didn't impact you as much as those of the Droid.

I'm convinced that no phone (or OS for a phone) is "better" than another, rather, some fit the individual user better than others.

It's all about choice.
Eh, that's true to an extent but as a former Nexus one owner, I agree that it had it's limitations. Couple that with the problems that I had with Froyo, he's on AT&T's network, then you add in the fact that he "rooted" the device and I'm not sure that you can blame HTC... I'm very happy with my Desire on US Cellular. Of course, I haven't screwed with it...that's like putting in a big bore kit and then being mad at Suzuki when your bike doesn't run right.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Eh, that's true to an extent but as a former Nexus one owner, I agree that it had it's limitations. Couple that with the problems that I had with Froyo, he's on AT&T's network, then you add in the fact that he "rooted" the device and I'm not sure that you can blame HTC... I'm very happy with my Desire on US Cellular. Of course, I haven't screwed with it...that's like putting in a big bore kit and then being mad at Suzuki when your bike doesn't run right.
This.

Have you tried going back to original installation? I'm a very happy nexus owner. Any issue I have had in the past HTC has resolved without issue. (Had a broken charging terminal )

I can't believe you have waited this long with an unhappy device.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
This.

Have you tried going back to original installation? I'm a very happy nexus owner. Any issue I have had in the past HTC has resolved without issue. (Had a broken charging terminal )

I can't believe you have waited this long with an unhappy device.
I'm going to be going back to the original installation today. I'm fed up beyond fed up.

It's not that I was unhappy with it. Maybe I just lived with a few of the quirks better than others. I dunno.

We won't even talk about the whole *randomly deleting every single text message I have* problem.

I'm off the rest of the week after noon today, so that should give me some time that I can wipe the phone, put a fresh factory install on it, and call HTC to figure out WTF is up with this phone.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

All the stuff you are describing is odd, at least to me. I have a my touch running froyo and half the specs the nexus one has, and no issues with my phone, in fact it works better than any Iphone I've used.

The only negative I noticed is that my map in navagation mode seems to want to force close often.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I really hate that the phone has been giving you so many problems. Mine still runs great - I get the screen issues only if I try to use it right off of the charging cradle, and the low memory if I have too many apps installed (which for me is good because I can flush the crap I rarely use anyway.. but it can be a pain in the ass for some).

Hope it works out for you...

Oh, and try not to let Billy influence you so much to going back to the iPhone. There are still better phones out there. I think once my 2 year contract is up this month, I may consider swapping to a different provider.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

When you went to cyanogen, did you flush and wipe EVERYTHING?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Froyo sucks on my droid 1. So much lag even when i have the cpu at 1ghz. The icons and background "dissappear" when i exit a program and take up to a minute to reappear. I have to keep hitting the home button for them to reappear quicker. Ive even unrooted my phone and it still sucks.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
G-Rex
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Oh, and try not to let Billy influence you so much to going back to the iPhone.
Billy and I haven't talked about phone stuff in several months. I just know that my iPhone never gave me this kind of hassle. It just worked. Besides, you know how much patience I have for this kind of thing. Zero to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
When you went to cyanogen, did you flush and wipe EVERYTHING?
I did wipe EVERYTHING.