Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Windows might be a cell phone player

Word is they just partnered with nokia as the exclusive os for all new nokia smart phones. This should make the smart phone wars a little more interesting
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

As much as I hate Apple as a company, this could be the biggest thing in the cellphone wars that I hope is true.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/10/apple...e-nano-summer/

I would love to be able to start purchasing phones contract free in the $200 range with universal sim cards. This could be huge and push Android to do the same. I would never buy this little piece of shit though.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

That would be good, at least the part about the carrier switching without changing the sim card.

The nano phone sounds like a disaster though, $200 for a watered down iphone is still more than its equivalent android model, and about the same as a top level subsidized model. Unless its offered for free subsidized, I don't see it making a huge difference in the market share that android has, or the possible market share that windows could have partnering work a giant like nokia
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

The impact will come from the idea, more than the phone itself. I would love for this thing to have a huge impact on the market because of the lack of being subsidized and universal sim card friendly.

Stripping the carriers from the phone game and forcing them to play competition with their actual networks would be amazing.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Stripping the carriers from the phone game and forcing them to play competition with their actual networks would be amazing.
This would be freaking AWESOME

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

It would be, but I dont think that a stripped down $200 iphone will do that, especially when a subsidized iphone is a little above that. They are already competing with each other, and for the past few years with free subsidized android phones. So what will it really change? You will still wind up paying the same for the contract, why should they lower their rates because you already have a phone? Plus most people switch phones every year or so, why not get a better phone for cheaper than pay $200 year?

I just don't see it as a game changer
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Hell, I'm still waiting for them to realize that folks dont really want 'feature android' phones (moto blur comes to mind) with crappy extra software that slows the phone down
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
It would be, but I dont think that a stripped down $200 iphone will do that, especially when a subsidized iphone is a little above that. They are already competing with each other, and for the past few years with free subsidized android phones. So what will it really change? You will still wind up paying the same for the contract, why should they lower their rates because you already have a phone? Plus most people switch phones every year or so, why not get a better phone for cheaper than pay $200 year?

I just don't see it as a game changer
Verizon took away the option to swap phones every year. That's what I did. Now you have to wait 20 months. I would purchase a phone every year at the $200 mark if I was unhappy with my current phone and a better phone came out. I hate being tied to the same phone for that long.

You know Tigger would have like 50 phones a year this way.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Hell, I'm still waiting for them to realize that folks dont really want 'feature android' phones (moto blur comes to mind) with crappy extra software that slows the phone down
I have ran vanilla desensed DINC roms and deoxed sense roms. I much prefer sense roms to launcher roms. I like HTC sense, but only when it's been deoxed of bloatware.