Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT
Default Yea!! Motorcycles can run red lights

Kansas House Approves Bill Allowing Motorcycles to Run Red Lights

Published February 23, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Ever been itching to run a red light that just won't change? Kansas lawmakers think motorcycle riders should be able to do just that.

The Kansas House on Tuesday approved a bill that would allow bikers to run a red light if the signal "fails" to turn green after a "reasonable period of time." The proposal leaves the discretion in the hands of the motorcyclist, but is aimed at ensuring riders don't get trapped in perpetuity at intersections because of signals that either malfunction or don't detect the motorcycles.

Motorcycle riders testified this month that their bikes were often not big or heavy enough to trigger the sensors that cause red lights to switch. For fear that riders would have to choose between being stuck on the Kansas tundra or running a light and risking a ticket, they urged the legislature to approve the so-called "Dead Red" bill giving them a free pass. The riders testifying in support of the bill belonged to a group known as ABATE, or A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments.

"Cars and trucks have no problem with it, but motorcycles have always been an issue," Crawford County Sheriff's Deputy Bob Peters said, according to Fox 14. "You may be on a section or roadway where you may wait for five minutes and there may not be other traffic along to trigger the sensor."

Though Peters supported the bill, it was opposed by Kansas police organizations that want their officers, not motorcycle riders, to have the discretion. One Republican lawmaker unsuccessfully tried to strip the red-light provision, saying, "I see no skeletal remains of motorcyclists sitting at red lights that never change," according to The Wichita Eagle.

The bill passed the House Tuesday as part of a broader road safety package. The other component in the package would prohibit local jurisdictions from imposing extra fines on drivers for seat-belt violations. The bill kept the statewide fine at $5 -- that would eventually rise to $10 or $60 depending on the severity of the violation.

The language in the motorcycle bill also covered bicycle riders.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
dubbs
Multistrada

In Kansas.. Do people live in Kansas?
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

there nothing more frustrating than sitting at a light that refuses to change
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
there nothing more frustrating than sitting at a light that refuses to change
I've been there... I always just ran the red

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I've been there... I always just ran the red
me too.....
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Rezin (from CF/Tricktape at the time) used to sell these large magnets that you could put on your frame that made light sensor loops pick you up properly.

In reality, it was nothing more than the large square magnet you can buy at the Radio Shack. I recognized it immediately, as I happened to have some. I stuck one on my frame, and never again had to wait.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Yeah just read this..... I saw there was some static from the police union that wanted the officers to have the say in "what's a justifiable wait" -- as if we, as riders, needed another reason to have cops try to pull us over and deem what's acceptable.... so many can't make an unbiased decision when it comes to bikes....
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Its weird Theres a light i come to Often that picks up the bike everytime...Then others that just plain refuse to turn green.

I agree with the law, I usually give it one cycle and if it doesnt turn green and there isnt anyone coming and I can proceed safely...I go through the red light.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by udman View Post
One Republican lawmaker unsuccessfully tried to strip the red-light provision, saying, "I see no skeletal remains of motorcyclists sitting at red lights that never change," according to The Wichita Eagle.
No shit. Because we don't sit there and wait forever, dumbass. We make sure nothing is coming, then we just go, even though the light stays red. We want this law because we don't want to get a ticket for running a red light that never fucking changes to green for us.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Rezin (from CF/Tricktape at the time) used to sell these large magnets that you could put on your frame that made light sensor loops pick you up properly.

In reality, it was nothing more than the large square magnet you can buy at the Radio Shack. I recognized it immediately, as I happened to have some. I stuck one on my frame, and never again had to wait.
Could you find it ( part number ) again at Radio Shack? There is one light that won't change until a heavy vehicle trips the buried wired. I bought a magnet off enay, added two cow magnets and I still end up running the red light.

'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote