Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E
Default Go fuck yourself, Motorola

When I came back to this country in June last year, the wife and I needed new cell phones. After much research, we decided on the Motorola Cliq XT. The phones ran Android 1.5, but Motorola had an upgrade to 2.1 in the works, so all would be fine.

Motorola promised and promised and promised the upgrade but delivered nothing but delays. Once the update was about a year overdue, they sent an email to all their customers advertising the "NEW CLIQ2" running Android 2.1 (already obsolete by that point). A few weeks later, they released official word: after extensive testing, the Cliq XT (my phone) could not support Android 2.1 and will not recieve any further updates.

They lied to me and a lot of other people. Fuck them, I'm never buying anything else from Motorola. I hope they all die of asshole cancer.

I fixed it, though. As of now, my phone is rooted and running Gingerbread. Motorola took a year to give me Eclair and said it wasn't possible. I ditched their Motoblur crap and installed Gingerbread in an afternoon. Suck it, Motorola.

Also, holy shit! Gingerbread is a fucking revelation after running Cupcake for so long. I love this OS.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
When I came back to this country in June last year, the wife and I needed new cell phones. After much research, we decided on the Motorola Cliq XT. The phones ran Android 1.5, but Motorola had an upgrade to 2.1 in the works, so all would be fine.

Motorola promised and promised and promised the upgrade but delivered nothing but delays. Once the update was about a year overdue, they sent an email to all their customers advertising the "NEW CLIQ2" running Android 2.1 (already obsolete by that point). A few weeks later, they released official word: after extensive testing, the Cliq XT (my phone) could not support Android 2.1 and will not recieve any further updates.

They lied to me and a lot of other people. Fuck them, I'm never buying anything else from Motorola. I hope they all die of asshole cancer.

I fixed it, though. As of now, my phone is rooted and running Gingerbread. Motorola took a year to give me Eclair and said it wasn't possible. I ditched their Motoblur crap and installed Gingerbread in an afternoon. Suck it, Motorola.

Also, holy shit! Gingerbread is a fucking revelation after running Cupcake for so long. I love this OS.
No problems with my X. Shitty deal though man.....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
That's the other thing that pisses me off. When Moto was on death's door, T-Mobile worked with them to bring them back. After they were healthy, Verizon wanted a piece of the action.

Today, Verizon gets stuff like the Droid and Droid X, while T-Mo gets garbage like the Cliq. Moto has no loyalty to either their customers or business partners, it seems.

Fuck that company.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
That's the other thing that pisses me off. When Moto was on death's door, T-Mobile worked with them to bring them back. After they were healthy, Verizon wanted a piece of the action.

Today, Verizon gets stuff like the Droid and Droid X, while T-Mo gets garbage like the Cliq. Moto has no loyalty to either their customers or business partners, it seems.

Fuck that company.

baw thread?

baw thread.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Thats one of the problems with upgrading android, the carriers are slow, the companies that make the phones want to introduce their own version of android with 'their-ware' on it when the plane jane android is pretty good without other crap holding it back.

I bought the T-mobile my touch last may with the promise of it being upgraded from 1.6 to 2.1 by the summer time. The upgrade finally came through in march. By that point I was already looking to upgrade the phone again. I love Tmobile for their wireless speeds, call quality, and price, but the dont upgrade phones like they say they will.

I have the my touch 4g now running 2.2 and I'm pretty happy with it. Bought it through an online auction at bidz.com. Brand new and it cost less the phone would have cost with a 2 year contract. In fact they have 3 on the site now

http://www.bidz.com/bzJApp/ViewSearc...xt=my+touch+4g

Tmobile has been getting better phones though, between the mytouch 4g, the galaxyS 4g, and now the g2X they have a decent line up. Not as good as the HTC thunderbolt, but their specs are almost as good or better than the Droid X.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Thats one of the problems with upgrading android, the carriers are slow, the companies that make the phones want to introduce their own version of android with 'their-ware' on it when the plane jane android is pretty good without other crap holding it back.

I bought the T-mobile my touch last may with the promise of it being upgraded from 1.6 to 2.1 by the summer time. The upgrade finally came through in march. By that point I was already looking to upgrade the phone again. I love Tmobile for their wireless speeds, call quality, and price, but the dont upgrade phones like they say they will.

I have the my touch 4g now running 2.2 and I'm pretty happy with it. Bought it through an online auction at bidz.com. Brand new and it cost less the phone would have cost with a 2 year contract. In fact they have 3 on the site now

http://www.bidz.com/bzJApp/ViewSearc...xt=my+touch+4g

Tmobile has been getting better phones though, between the mytouch 4g, the galaxyS 4g, and now the g2X they have a decent line up. Not as good as the HTC thunderbolt, but their specs are almost as good or better than the Droid X.
seriously, id rather they spent their time on R&D and releasing new product than updating legacy shit. i can handle that much on my own.

this thread is like buying a hooker and expecting her to come to your house for a handjob a few weeks later. you an do it better yourself so why cry about it?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

this thread is like buying a hooker and expecting her to come to your house for a handjob a few weeks later. you an do it better yourself so why cry about it?
interesting analogy

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I would NEVER EVER rely on a phone company to promise anything. That is just crazy. I knew exactly what was going to happen in your story.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Same here. My X is still basically the same as from the factory with a few apps added and the stock OS and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I would NEVER EVER rely on a phone company to promise anything. That is just crazy. I knew exactly what was going to happen in your story.
Exactly. Verizon was doing that to people with the Blackberry Storm and a few of my friends were bitching. When I got mine I upgraded the OS that same day on my own and never had the problems everybody else did.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Same here. My X is still basically the same as from the factory with a few apps added and the stock OS and I love it.

Exactly. Verizon was doing that to people with the Blackberry Storm and a few of my friends were bitching. When I got mine I upgraded the OS that same day on my own and never had the problems everybody else did.
Same here. No rooting, no swapping ram or whatever. Just some apps and the internet. Although, I did see a guy that had his x rooted and the ram messed with. His was synced to his dvr at home, could use a wiimote for games and apps, and some other cool stuff. It was interesting.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote