Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Budget Security System-Much Success!

Well, I mentioned in another thread that I was putting together a cheap home security set-up. Here's a short summary of what I have and how it works.

Equipment,

Simon XT alarm panel, including sensors $100 Amazon deal

Keychain remote $0

2 wireless motion sensors $0

2 wireless heat/smoke detectors $0

8 wireless door/window sensors $0

Magic Jack Plus $40 includes 1st year of unlimited phone service

Budget 500G DVR and 4 outdoor, ir cameras $110 Woot special

Mr Roboto motion activated, motorized camera $60

Used battery backup I got from work $0

Since I live alone and have a remote, I installed the panel in my bedroom close to the router that I have the Magic Jack plugged into. I programmed the unit to call me in case of an alarm. I can then (or at any time) check the cameras using my smart phone and decide what to do.

Pros,

Inexpensive peace of mind. No monthly monitoring fee or contract. No monitoring lag-when I worked for ADT, I saw 15+ minute lags in their service. No monthly home phone service bill/expense. No need for an active computer for external cameras as cameras record on dedicated DVR which also networks the images. Can monitor service/cameras remotely and check on house from virtually anywhere. Internal battery back up on alarm good for a couple days. Router/cable modem/ ext camera battery back up is good for a few hours. All accessible windows and doors are covered.

Cons,

Dependent on cable company internet service. Motorized camera needs active computer. Alarm system calls you 6 times if you accidentally trigger the alarm... All sensors are battery powered.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the system and it was pretty easy to install and program. Of course, I was lucky to find some of the stuff I have super cheap, so you might pay a bit more for the equipment but I see similar stuff every day for cheap. BTW you can program up to four numbers for the unit to call. So you can set it up to call the police, a neighbor, friends, etc... If 911 gets 6 calls from a house they will send a unit to check it out.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Cool. I've been setting up something at the track for monitoring. And, right now looking for a reliable wireless camera that I don't have to have connected to power all the time. I'd imagine the wireless sucks the life out of a battery to make it realistic, but a girl can dream - right?

Thanks for posting this....

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Cool. I've been setting up something at the track for monitoring. And, right now looking for a reliable wireless camera that I don't have to have connected to power all the time. I'd imagine the wireless sucks the life out of a battery to make it realistic, but a girl can dream - right?

Solar power and some decent batteries.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I like it.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post

I've installed a few set-ups for shooting ranges, etc. PM is on the money suggesting a solar panel. Harbor Freight sells a 45 watt unit for cheap.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I like it.
Yep, the motion sensors definitely work... If...more like when, I forget and walk in the door from the garage without disarming the alarm- BOOM! Busted!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

How's this set up work with pets?
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Solar power and some decent batteries.
bingo, you can actually get a cheap china panel at harbor freight that should be able to power a remote camera, find a battery that will survive at least a full night on the shortest day of the year and set it and forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
How's this set up work with pets?
The motion sensors are >40 lbs installed normally. If your pet is larger than that there are ways to install them to keep the field of view higher off the ground. Otherwise, you could also install glass break detectors or just cover all of the doors and windows in the house. Motion sensors are really just for back up or to save money on areas with lots of windows.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

here's a video that talks about my system....guess why I picked this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZxZ...eature=related