Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default The North Face

Okay. I'm trying to figure out the appeal to "The North Face". Yesterday I went to REI in Atlanta since I had a $50 gift card there. I ended up getting some mountain biking jerseys since I ride mountain bikes. But about every man, women and child in there had on North Face.

The weirdest part is some little pullover that looks like they stole from Old navy and slapped their logo on was around $200. But they had a really nice winter jacket that looked like something you'd wear climbing the North Face of Everest and it was only $50 more.

Is there stuff really that nice or just overpriced poser shit.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

they have really nice stuff... but it's over price... Cabella's, LL Bean, and REI's own brands are just as good... cost less... and in the case of LL Bean... carry a life time warrenty for satisfaction.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Gotcha. Which I tried on a North Face jacket at Marshalls one time. It felt nice and was roughly $100. I think I saw the same jacket for $250 at an outdoors store.

I did get a Northface that day though. Some sweater looking thing that was one color, fairly heavy but the logo matched the color of the sweater so you can't really see it anyways. I got it for $25 because it was on sale (Normally $60)

What's odd though is I felt like their more functional stuff that you'd wear in Alaska or extremely cold weather was cheaper than the basic stuff I see your average highschool or college kid wear.

But I was curious because I'm very outdoors oriented. Plus when I do head out to say Dinner then a some bars. It's nothing for me to eat at a restaurant then walk a half mile or more to a bar/concert/theatre etc as opposed to driving there. So I was looking for something that looked decent and functioned well.

I'll have to look into the LL Bean stuff.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah I'd say the LL Bean stuff... though still can be expensive... has a life time SATISFACTION warrenty... basicly... if in 10 years... you are no longer satisfied with the product... send it back... they'll send you a new one... or a refund.

I had a back pack that my Grandma bought me my freshman year from LL Bean... 2 years after I graduated the bag tore... I sent it back.. a week later I had a brand new one... a week later it was stolen..

The North Face makes some great expedition level gear... but that's far above what any of us would need save spending the nights in the Alaska wilderness or if Cutty wanted to camp in his yard. but it's expensive as fuck
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
yeah I'd say the LL Bean stuff... though still can be expensive... has a life time SATISFACTION warrenty... basicly... if in 10 years... you are no longer satisfied with the product... send it back... they'll send you a new one... or a refund.

I had a back pack that my Grandma bought me my freshman year from LL Bean... 2 years after I graduated the bag tore... I sent it back.. a week later I had a brand new one... a week later it was stolen..

The North Face makes some great expedition level gear... but that's far above what any of us would need save spending the nights in the Alaska wilderness or if Cutty wanted to camp in his yard. but it's expensive as fuck
My opinion. The attraction to North Face stuff is the same as attraction to A&F stuff. The product is good, but you know you can get the same shit cheaper next door.

And ebbs, it would be a bitch to camp in my back yard right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
True that. Though I think I have found that their expedition shit is cheaper than their poser stuff.

That sweater I got is pretty nice. So I'll have to give it some props. Worth the $25 I spent on it. But it's a charcoal color with the logo in charcoal. My buddy claims that since it's hard to see the logo that it automatically knocks $50 off the price of the sweater.

Probably need to hit up Marshalls, Goodwill, etc and see if they have some LL Bean. I checked out their website and dug a lot of stuff I saw.

Now one thing I will spend good money on that others say isn't worth it is Pearl Izumi riding gear (Mountain/road bikes). I've tried other bands and they don't fit me like Pearl Izumi despite you pay out the ass for it.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

North Face stuff is totally worth it. Though, I giggled when I first moved to Austin and saw a woman wearing their full hooded winter jacket at a store one day - it was *winter* here... 50 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Now one thing I will spend good money on that others say isn't worth it is Pearl Izumi riding gear (Mountain/road bikes). I've tried other bands and they don't fit me like Pearl Izumi despite you pay out the ass for it.
I'm TOTALLY with you on Pearl Izumi - they are one of the few bicycle gear companies that actually makes women's gear in real sizes. I mean, the others I have to go up sizes to get the right fit and their gloves are the BEST. The only thing I haven't been happy with are their shoes - but, I love my SIDIs, so it's a tough comparison.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

it's a fad.

I have some stuff from there (gifts) that I never wear because I have better stuff in the closet (which was probably cheaper)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
North Face stuff is totally worth it. Though, I giggled when I first moved to Austin and saw a woman wearing their full hooded winter jacket at a store one day - it was *winter* here... 50 degrees

I'm TOTALLY with you on Pearl Izumi - they are one of the few bicycle gear companies that actually makes women's gear in real sizes. I mean, the others I have to go up sizes to get the right fit and their gloves are the BEST. The only thing I haven't been happy with are their shoes - but, I love my SIDIs, so it's a tough comparison.
It was 55degrees when I went to REI. But cloudy so that demanded your top of the line winter gear (Despite everyone rocked the Crocs too). God forbid you get caught in a sudden blizzard when walking from your Volvo to Longhorns.

Oh. REI had some killer sales on some Pearl. Especially womens stuff. I ended up getting a loose fit 1/4 zip down with pockets for water bottles in the back Izumi for $17. And a tighter but long sleeve Izumi and a 1/4 zip for $19. They had a lot of stuff half off and any item in the store that ended in .83 was half off of the marked down price. Plus on my way to ride the twisties of the North Georgia mountains I pass a Pearl Izumi outlet store. On last years stuff they'll negotiate the price and basically give it away.

Now for running/jogging I won't get Izumi. It's nice but I love Target's C9 stuff.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

I have the north face denali jacket and I love it. Im not the type that gets cold very easily and I hate bulky jackets, so its perfect for me. Pretty warm and nice and thin. The best part is it retails for around $165 and I bought it brand new on ebay for $72. If it wasnt for finding a deal, I wouldnt own one.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote