Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Getting A Loan.

Cliff Notes: Going to Alaska in a couple weeks. Wanted to leave a couple of days ago but things keep getting pushed back. Originally wanted to do it on a bike but now I am thinking about taking a truck so that I can haul all my shit up there instead of shipping it out. I also like that I have a much wider range of trucks to choose from down here.

Right now I am jobless which makes getting a loan hard, but once I get to Alaska I have two jobs waiting for me and should be able to get something then, however I need the truck now.

Pretend I bought a truck for 12 grand.

I have 4 grand cash and my mom is offering to lend me 8 grand out of pocket. However it is part of her emergency cash fund and I wouldn't want to be paying her back over any length of time beyond 1 year.

Would it be reasonable to assume that after establishing my employment that I could take the title of my truck into a bank and get a loan for 8 grand? I can probably pay her 4 to 6 grand out of pocket over the course of the summer but I just want some thought on getting a loan using the truck as collateral if she were to suddenly need cash. The truck's age would be between 99 and 02 which I do realize might be too old for some banks to loan on.

Just thought I would run these things through you guys in case you can come up with ideas or thoughts that I am missing for better or for worse.

Smileyman any thoughts? Anyone else?

My brother works for Wells Fargo and he was telling me that their policies prevent them from loaning on trucks older than 7 years.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

It would have to be some kind of personal loan. Although with truck prices now you could get a new truck for almost the same price
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

HOw about getting your mom to just co-sign with you for the difference? THat way she can help you on a payment or 2 until you get settled and then you take over. She wouldn't be out of her emergency fund that way either and it will help build your credit.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
HOw about getting your mom to just co-sign with you for the difference? THat way she can help you on a payment or 2 until you get settled and then you take over. She wouldn't be out of her emergency fund that way either and it will help build your credit.
That was a plan but my mom doesn't think her credit is that great.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

You are undeserving of a loan with no job.

If you have $4000
Buy a $4000 truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
You are undeserving of a loan with no job.

If you have $4000
Buy a $4000 truck.
Also true but I have two jobs lined (ie Contract) up and unlike most people with jobs I pay my bills.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

kind of off topic but a truck that is more then 7 years old is not worth 12 grand. I agree with Pauldon find one you can buuy for cash. Should be able to find one. If not something where your mom isn't putting in the max that she said she could. Maybe 1 or 2 grand from her.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

Maybe you should buy a $4000 truck that will get you to Alaska, then buy a more expensive one up there if you need it and when you have the money. No point in paying more for a truck that's going to get beat-up going cross country anyway. Hell, you might even turn a profit. Seems like getting new cars into the system there in Alaska ain't exactly easy.

Just quickly glancing at the Craigslist in Atlanta there are a number of late 90's early 2000's trucks available for that price or less. Must be a decent one in there somewhere.

Last edited by thunderex; 03-12-2009 at 01:02 PM..
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Also true but I have two jobs lined (ie Contract) up and unlike most people with jobs I pay my bills.

Means nothing. Is it a job that contractually it is impossible you could get fired after 1 day?

In you case a collateral based loan is a better fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

I looked around the Alaska craigslist (there is only one for the entire state) and idealy I will buy something just to get there and flip it. I have actually found a truck that meets what I am looking for but the interior blows. At any rate it will get the job done and the owner says he can produce the paper work for proof of a new tranny in the last 20 k miles.

I was in a super shitty mood when I started this thread up last night. I think I have it figured out.