Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #31
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
Depends on the product for me...motorcycle gear I'm willing to pay top dollar for quality names becuase they are tried, tested and true. Clothing not a chance, you'll never see me paying $300 for a designer sweater at Nordstom's. I'm all about saving money but sometimes you get what you pay for and not all of the cheaper brands are always as good of quality.
AMEN!

I wont wear no name gear, but no name clothes that are dirt cheap, why not? if I'm walking down the street, my chances of highsiding and getting my skin torn off are essentially -10 so no name clothes are fine, but I need to know my gear will withstand the crash.

I'm the same way about tools. I'm paying good money for my Craftsman and Snapon tools for a good reason. I make my $ with them, and I need quality, not junk that breaks.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #32
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
Hey smittie sorry bout that, I didn't mean to reference as though you were the one I meant. Just that your post about NF got me thinking as others put in they wouldn't pay for it or what not. I totally agree with getting the best you can afford and have all too good of recollection what it was like to make it on spit and baling twine. 5/hr and family of 4 is not fun I can tell you that. it will motivate the hell out of you to do better though

Wow this has to be one of my livlier posts that I've started.
No offense taken.

I think the main bash on "THE North Face" (Can't forget the THE or your coolness goes down 15.9%) is that it's the "Cool" trend now. And there will always be people who resist the "Norm". I'll admit I'm one of those people. For example I'll never own anything "Life is Good". Despite their shirts could be cheap and the guys who made the shirts are Geniuses and I respect the hell out of that.

I'd like to start a "Life is Okay" line and sell them for half hte price of "Life is Good" for the people who suck at life.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #33
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Plus I'm about to get all my dad's tools... Mac, Cornwell, Snap-on... the good shit.
I worked at a Machine Shop that had the Snap On man come by once a week. And my buddy's dad always and I mean ALWAYS bought something. He has been for over 15 years.

He finally sold the shop and it sucked bad when I used my POS Craftsman tools. That'd be like riding a M1 and then for then getting stuck with a SecaII forever.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #34
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I worked at a Machine Shop that had the Snap On man come by once a week. And my buddy's dad always and I mean ALWAYS bought something. He has been for over 15 years.

He finally sold the shop and it sucked bad when I used my POS Craftsman tools. That'd be like riding a M1 and then for then getting stuck with a SecaII forever.
My old man's been a mechanic for like 40 years... Used to sell Mac, Cornwell, and Snap-On tools on the side for a while.

Anybody got any use for a 3/4" swivel head driver with sockets ranging from 1 1/2 to 5"? The driver wrench is only like 3' long and weighs like 25lbs.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #35
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
My old man's been a mechanic for like 40 years... Used to sell Mac, Cornwell, and Snap-On tools on the side for a while.

Anybody got any use for a 3/4" swivel head driver with sockets ranging from 1 1/2 to 5"? The driver wrench is only like 3' long and weighs like 25lbs.
free? then yes. depending on how much, maybe
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #36
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
free? then yes. depending on how much, maybe
Free... no. It'll be a few months until I get them all the tools and I'm not sure what my dad's plan is for some of that stuff... I'd imagine he'd sell off all that bizzaro stuff I'd have no use for to his friends first... I'm pretty much just interested in most of the air tools and more standard tools. If there's anything he can't/doesn't get rid of that I don't want... I'll put it out here.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #37
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

cool
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #38
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

meh, whats so bad about beaters? pure freedom if you ask me. costs a mere fraction of its original price, dont have to wash it, im not a slave to some warrantee, and people get the fuck out of my way when they see it coming for them. then again, im very good at keeping things running and do 99.9% of my own wrench turning. nothing like the look on someones face when a paint peeling bullet ridden mid ninties buick pass them with both fronts on fire and the supercharger wailing like a banshee. specially makes my day if they are in a prius
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #39
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

I evaluate it on a case by case basis.
Sometimes you're paying for name, sometimes there's something to it.
I can understand the sentiment that we make too little to buy cheap crap, but we also make too little to pay too much when that extra money doesn't buy greater tangible benefit.